All Rowelled Up

All Rowelled Up
All Rowelled Up

Thursday, September 9, 2010






Puppy Love










I would like to take this opportunity to fill you in on my love for my dog. I know, I know, some of you might stop reading now because you think it's dumb. I once thought the same thing. It made me just sick to see people get all goo goo over their dog. Dumb!! BUT, ever since my ma'am came into my life on February 22, 2009, I am THAT person. The person who has conversations with my dog, sings to my dog, takes a ridiculous amount of pictures of my dog, and dresses my dog (60 pound boxer, she hates it).

I'm not ashamed to say that I am madly in love with Miss Phoebe Mandy Moore Michael Jackson Rowell. (Zach Rowell, if you are reading this, I know you think that is not her full name and you told me not to tell people that was her name, but it is.)

When she first came to live with us I thought I was going to freak out! I was up 2 or 3 times a night. We were going to the bathroom every 30 minutes. I had to "kid proof" my house. I wasn't sure what I had got myself into. I was constantly asking, "What's in your mouth?" "What do you have?" "Where did she go?" It was a little bit stressful.

When it comes to night time I have to say that we failed as "parents". Kids are not supposed to sleep in your bed and I thought the same rule applied to pets. Not in the house of Rowell. We put her in the crate the first night and she lasted there about 10 minutes. One of us (who's identity will not be revealed) wanted her in the bed the first night so she wouldn't be scared.

The second night it was suggested that she sleep in her crate. After 2 hours of straight up screeching I couldn't take it anymore and brought her to the bed. (Suckers!) Now, it's just routine. When we say it's time for bed she hauls her sweet little self to the bedroom and plops down, stretches herself out and is not concerned if Zach or I have any space. Let me take that back, Zach has enough room that he could practice making snow angels if he wanted to. I, on the other hand, sleep in a U shape around Phoebe. RIDICULOUS!!! Oh, but wait, it gets worse. In the past month I have had to start sleeping at the end of our KING SIZE bed so that she can have her space. (picture this: Zach and I basically sleep like a backwards L and she takes up the rest of the space.)

Now, some of you might be thinking "just move her. kick her out." When it's 3 in the morning and you have no strength in your hands it's impossible to lift, shove or scoot 60 pounds. The crazy part is she does not invade Zach's side at all. Even when she is dead tired and we move her to his side we can pretty much count to 10 and she will move right back. Brat! I'm onto her though. She tries to scoot me out of my spot every night and it always starts the same. She gets in between us, puts her back towards me, stretches out, leans her head back and stares at me, stretches some more pushing her self closer to my side, leans her head back, lets out a puff of air, stretches out, leans her head back until we are sharing the pillow and usually at this point of have 6 inches of bed to lay on and thats when I make my move to the end of the bed, which I actually find that I sleep pretty good down there.

For those of you who are dog lovers I'm sure you have sacrificed for your love too. We can't help it!! :) So the next time your dog pushes you out of bed, try going to the end. You just might find better sleep!

April



1 comment:

  1. I adore this note. i totally understand your feelings, the adoration. Even though yorkies aren't 60 lbs. Picture 5 of them saprawled out on a king size bed also, with 2 adults. One being 6'5". I too, like you April, did not have much bed to sleep on. lol God bless you. And he will, and already does. Love ya, Rallie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day and stopping by!