All Rowelled Up

All Rowelled Up
All Rowelled Up

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Oklahoma Storms

I never thought I would be excited for warmer weather coming my way.  These Oklahoma tornados are too much for me to handle.  If you are a reader outside of the Oklahoma area you have probably seen all the coverage on the national news.  My heart just breaks for all those experiencing loss of any kind.  I can't even watch coverage anymore cause it just makes me too sad.

We had a close call this past Thursday night.  There was a tornado that hit very very very close to my house.  As in some of the places that were hit were literally less than 5 minutes from my house.  Zach has become quite the storm tracker lately so he keeps us on our toes with the latest weather updates.  Thursday evening after I put Evelyn down the sky started looking green and wicked.  The clouds behind our house were starting to look like something I didn't want to see.


Evy helping track the storms.

While we were looking at the sky I heard the newscaster say "If you're in the Broken Arrow area take cover now."  My heart dropped and it made me shake even more when Zach said "Get Evelyn."  This made it so real and so scary.

I grabbed her from her crib and strapped her in her car seat, put her in the tub with Phoebe and I and Zach covered us in the couch cushions.  The laptop was in the bathroom with us with the news on.  I could here him say "It's touched down in Oneta."  Oneta, the part of Broken Arrow that I live in.  For about 5 seconds my whole body got hot with fear and I thought to myself "what if this is it?"

I shook that feeling as soon as I could and began praying.  I just kept thinking about all those people in Moore, Oklahoma and how scared they must have been.  People were saying on the news that it was so loud that they couldn't hear anything.  I did't want to hear that sound.  Evelyn didn't make a peep.  She just kept looking at me and I knew I couldn't let anything happen to her.  If I had to shove my body underneath the handle of her car seat and wrap my body around it that is EXACTLY what I was going to do whether it broke my back or not.  It made me sick that I was even having to come up with a plan. Side note - I tried it out the next day and I can fit under the handle.

I kept getting texts from a lot of people but I couldn't text back.  Nothing was going through.  We were both getting calls but we couldn't call back.  I knew our family was probably freaking.  I would have been.

After about 30 minutes in the tub and sporting my bicycle helmet Zach released us.  Phoebe was the first to get out.  Let me tell you there is NO ROOM in a small bathtub with me, a car seat and an 85 pound dog.  When I stood up I couldn't even feel my feet and there was soap all over my pillow.  No big deal.  I was just happy to be safe.  

Friday night more tornados struck Oklahoma City and surrounding areas.  There have been 9 confirmed deaths.  It just breaks my heart.  We have decided that we don't care about the cost, we are investing in a storm shelter.  I can't take that overtaking fear not knowing if the small room in the middle of the house is going to protect my family or not.


Please say a prayer for Oklahoma tonight.  Pray for strength, comfort and peace.  I know there are a lot of people that need it.

-April



4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you and your family had to go through that, I can't even imagine that feeling. So glad that your husband is so brave and tracks the storms and puts you, your daughter, and your pup to safety. Saying many prayers for you girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your family here was freaking. So glad your all okay. love you, Aunt Lu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, your family here was freaking. So glad your all okay. love you, Aunt Lu

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day and stopping by!