All Rowelled Up

All Rowelled Up
All Rowelled Up

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

She's Dancing!

Look out dance moms of the world, here I come!  Dance season is finally over for Evelyn and I have to say I’m a little sad about it.  She had her recital last Friday and I was a little sad on the last group number they did. I didn’t get to see much of the show because I signed up to be a backstage volunteer.  Didn’t really have plans to do that but when I was told that once the kids go backstage you can’t see them again until the show is over I had no choice.  I didn’t really make friends with any of the other moms until, well, at the recital so I didn’t feel comfortable with Evelyn being gone from me that long without knowing what was going on and if she needed to go to the bathroom or if she was scared.  So I sucked it up and gave up my evenings on Thursday and Friday to make sure Evelyn had a great experience.  Let me tell ya, that backstage business ain’t no joke.  I was sweating so bad on Thursday at rehearsal and put some miles on these feet.  When signing up it was made clear that you are not to just help your child but every child.  In the back of my mind I thought I would just focus on my kid and that was that.  Oh no, when it came down to it I was busy changing the other girls and helping them to the bathroom and lining them up and helping them offstage and holding girls who were crying and missing their mommas.  I thought, if this were Evelyn scared and needing help I would want someone to give her 100% of attention and not leave her out.  I did, however, pretend to comb a girls hair because I just couldn’t share a brush with a child I had no idea who they were or where their hair has been.  When she politely asked me to brush it I combed the air around her hair, patted her on the head and told her she looked beautiful.  And it’s not like she needed it combed.  It looked pretty hairsprayed to death to me and her mom was just hanging out in the room so I don’t feel bad about what I did.  #nojudging



 

I tried to hang back a little and watch Evelyn as she used her social skills and not be a hovering mother that I know I am.  ( And I’m NOT sorry about it!)  It was cool to see her not afraid to interact with kids she didn’t know and to not be shy when one of the mothers was leading the kids in songs backstage.  She totally rocked her confidence and that is so important to me for my kids.  I want them to feel like they are the most important person in the room without acting like it.  I don’t want snotty stuck up kids but I want them to be the opposite of me growing up.  I would just freeze and be scared to do anything in case someone was looking and all of a sudden I became the center of attention.  Nope, nobody look at me!  And I want Evelyn and Oliver to ooze with confidence while being kind and a friend to kids like me.  She’s going to be starting school in August and I can’t stress  enough to her when she sees someone by themselves that she needs to go up to them and introduce herself and be a friend to them.  


We were totally surprised with this award.! Only girl from her class to get this. Super proud of her! 

 

I haven’t decided if we are going to return to dance next year.  As of right now she wants to but then she also wants to do soccer and gymnastics and I want her to try out some theater to see if that’s her thing.  It’s kind of putting a little bit of pressure on me.  I mean, what if she is destined to be the next best thing in the dancing world or the It girl actress.  It’s just a lot to think about when exposing her to these activities.  Maybe she won’t want to do any of these things? Maybe I just need to let her be little and worry about these things another day :) But I’m hanging on to all her dance stuff in case I need to put it in a museum some day ;)

 

Oh, and also….. Oliver is sitting up…..on his own!  Oh boy, that means crawling is just around the corner and then walking and then driving and then graduating high school and then….. I better stop! :)





Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!


-April



2 comments:

  1. "...I combed the air around her, patted her on the head and told her she looked beautiful." Hahaha this made me laugh out loud. I would have done the saaaame thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not alone! Isn't it the number one rule not to share brushes or hats??? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day and stopping by!