All Rowelled Up

All Rowelled Up
All Rowelled Up

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bullying? I don’t think so!


I am SO against bullying and I’m sick of the news showing a life lost because of it. This week is National Bullying Week so I would like to take some time to talk about it. This topic has been on my heart for about a year now. How can I help with the problem? Where do I go to help? How can I reach the individuals affected by bullying and let them know that it will pass?


I hate bullying! I saw it happen to my brother growing up and I’ve been a part of it myself. You feel helpless and you’re just wishing someone would stand up for you and make it better. It makes me proud to say that I have been that person before, standing up for someone getting bullied. I always feel like I should’ve done more though. The thing that really gets to me is that is doesn’t stop after grade school or high school. I’ve seen this extend into people’s adult years.


As much as the bully makes me mad and I just want to grab them by the neck and choke them out, I have to realize that they may be as tormented inside as the person being bullied. There has to be something going on inside them that causes them to act this way. I don’t think anyone wakes up in the morning and decides that they are going to be mean and brutal just to have something to do.


Two news stories have been on my mind lately about this subject. There is the one about the father who jumps on the bus and screams at the bullies and threatens them for picking on his daughter. I’ve seen the video and have heard clips from it several times and it’s not right what he did, but I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same thing. When you don’t want someone you love to hurt then sometimes you cross the line just to make it stop. The other story is about the 11 year old boy from Oklahoma who killed himself because of bullying at school. 11 YEARS OLD!!! That is so young! It breaks my heart to see his father on the news. This is a death that could have been prevented.


Bullying hurts!!! I’m not an expert and I don’t know how you help to make things better but just being nice to EVERYONE and being positive is the only start I can think of. Believe me, I’m not preaching because I’m not perfect. I need to work on this myself. I’m totally guilty of saying something mean about someone I don’t like or even about someone I do and at the time I don’t care. Afterwards, though, I do feel bad. What if someone repeats what I said? What if this person I can’t stand is having a bad day and my words are what sends them over the edge? I don’t want to be the cause of someone’s meltdown, or worse.


The point of this blog is to just be aware of how you act and who you act this way in front of. Be aware of the things you say and who you say them around. You never know how you are influencing and changing people. Even strangers at the mall.


I’m pledging now to Be a nicer person - Have an understanding heart and mind - Look for the good in people - Keep ugly comments and opinions to myself - Be a positive role model for my friends and family.


If you see me NOT doing any of the above, I give you permission to call me out on it and remind me of it. I won't be mad, I will probably thank you.

:)


April


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day and stopping by!