All Rowelled Up

All Rowelled Up
All Rowelled Up

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

12 Days of Christmas blog challenge - Day 9

Uh oh! It's 2 for 1 day on All Rowelled Up :) On the first of every month I give my Top 10 List of things I love about this month.  Let's get that going and then continue on with the 12 Days of Christmas.

Top 10 Things I love about December

 1.  Celebrating the birth of Christ on Christmas day.
 2.  Our 3 year wedding anniversary!
 3.  The Mall - I LOVE the mall this time of year.  
 4.  Brynn's (my new niece) first Christmas
 5.  My sister's bday and the celebration that goes along with it.
 6.  Christmas cards, decorations, lights
 7.  The Annual Christmas Bunko party and Christmas Movie Fest
 8.  Non-stop Christmas music and movies
 9.  Eggnog and popcorn tins
10.  New Year's Eve

Had to make it short and sweet this time because.....I've got blog #2 to do :)

12 Day of Christmas Challenge - Day 9

FAVORITE HOLIDAY RECIPE

Let me make this very clear if I haven't already.....I don't cook.  I usually find no pleasure in this activity whatsoever.  BUT, I have made a couple of things recently that makes me feel a little more wifey.  Here are a few things that I have tackled recently and they will be finding a permanent spot in my cookbook.  Yes, I own several :)

CANDY CANE DIP



Okay, so this is actually called Candy Corn Dip but when I make it this weekend I am going to make the layers red, white and green to make it Candy Cane dip.  Or I might just do red and white.  I haven't decided.

Calling for.....
8 oz. butter at room temperature
1 jar (7 1/2 oz.) Marshmallow Fluff
1 2/ cups confectioners sugar
3 Tbs. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. yellow concentrated food coloring
3/4 tsp. orange concentrated food coloring
1/2 cup candy corn

What to do.....
*On medium-high speed, beat butter until light and fluffy.  On low, gradually beat in Fluff and confectioners' sugar.  Add milk and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.

*Evenly divide mixture among 3 bowls, about 3/4 cup per bowl.  Stir yellow food coloring into one bowl, spread in bottom of 2 1/2-3 cup serving dish.  (The picture above shows the mix in a candle holder and I had to use 3.  The next time I made it I used a big clear glass cereal bowl.  Worked perfect!)

*Stir orange food coloring into another bowl; spread over yellow layer.  Top with white layer.  Put some candy corns on the top and you are done.

My tips.....
Obviously, this is the recipe for the candy corn dip so you will want to dye your separate bowls of the mixture depending on the color you want.

For my dip this weekend I am going to crush up peppermints and sprinkle them on the top.  I use pretzels and KitKats for my dippers but you can pretty much use whatever you like.  It's best if the dip is at room temperature so you should set it out 20-30 minutes before you are ready to serve it.

Hope you use this at your next party.  It's really easy.

Puppy Chow


I just learned how to make this this weekend and I am hooked! It's my new specialty :)

Calling for.....
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
9 cups chex cereal
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

What to do.....
*Combine peanut butter, butter and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.

*Microwave for one minute then stir to blend all ingredients throughly.  Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla.  Stir well.

*Put the 9 cups of chex cereal in a very large bowl.

*Pour the mixture over the cereal and toss evenly making sure all the cereal gets covered.

*Coat with powdered sugar, tossing cereal to make sure everything is coated.

My tips.....

I made a chocolate batch and a butterscotch batch by using butterscotch chocolate chips.  I'm curious to see how it would taste if I used the Reese's chocolate chips.  I might try that this weekend.

There you go! That's about as much cooking as I do.  I'm hoping to get better but we'll see :)

Happy cooking,

April

1 comment:

Thanks for making my day and stopping by!